Uber and Lyft have been in Portland the surrounding metro area for a few years now and are usually safe, affordable, and reliable modes of transportation to get you from point A to point B. But accidents happen, even in Uber and Lyft. Even rideshare drivers can drive negligently and cause an accident where their passenger(s) are injured. Here are some facts regarding these types of accidents below.
Examples of driving negligence:
- Driving while intoxicated or under the influence
- Texting or using the phone while driving
- Driving under the influence
- Speeding or changing lanes rapidly and without checking blind spots
- Blatantly disregarding the rules of the road or driving while tired
As the passenger, it is your job to prove that you were injured due to one of the above ways a driver can drive negligently. This may include things like your attorney getting camera footage of the accident, police and medical reports, pictures of your injuries, documentation of lost wages due to your injuries, and any other information needed to help you build your case.
Rideshare drivers are independent contractors and their coverage depends on whether or not they were working at the time of the accident. Their liability coverage is dissected in the following manner:
- Lyft and Uber will not cover if the driver was not logged in at the time. If the driver is logged in but hasn’t accepted a ride, they will only cover driver at-fault accidents.
- Lyft’s coverage is $50,000 per person injured and Uber’s is $100,000 per injury and $25,000 per property damage.
- If the driver has accepted a ride and is on the way to pick up, the coverage goes up to $1 million per injury.
- If the passenger is in the vehicle, the coverage is up to $1 million and limited coverage for damage along with uninsured driver coverage.
The Private For Hire Transportation program regulates these rideshare programs. Drivers in Portland have to maintain commercial liability insurance policies.
Contact our legal team
Yunus M. Paisner is proud to serve clients in Portland, Hillsboro, Beaverton, Gresham, Tigard and surrounding areas when they have been injured by someone else’s negligence. For a consultation, contact our office today.